You wish to create a mirror of your Active Directory (AD) infrastructure in PDQ Inventory.
NOTE: PDQ Inventory Pro or Enterprise required for AD Sync.
Mirroring the AD structure within PDQ Inventory is configured using PDQ Inventory, File > Preferences > Active Directory (Ctrl+, > Active Directory) settings. Additional documentation is available Here. You can also watch a handy video Here.
To enable AD Sync:
1. Navigate to PDQ Inventory, File > Preferences > Active Directory (Ctrl+, > Active Directory).
2. Select Create Active Directory Collections to create a mirror of your AD hierarchy in PDQ Inventory’s main navigation tree, defined by the icon below. Note: if this setting is unchecked after the AD collections have been created, the collections will be removed from the main navigation tree at the next computer scan.
3. If you would also like to have AD groups included in the sync, check Create Collections for Groups.
IMPORTANT: If you have computers that are pre-staged in a group or an OU and none of the computers in either the group or OU has the dNSHostName attribute set, not only will the computers not be included in the sync, but neither would the group nor OU. Groups and OUs are only included if there is at least one member computer that has the dNSHostName attribute.
4. It is also strongly recommended to enable (check) Auto Sync Enabled. The default sync interval (Sync Every) of one hour is reasonable.
5. Set the desired Delete Mode. Three Delete Modes are available.
6. Select Sync Disabled Computers. This is optional and unchecked by default.
Once the above options have been selected, the Active Directory preferences would look something like:
7. In order to perform AD Sync, an Include Container must be selected. Click on the Include Container button to open the Select Include Container window. In the example below, we’ve selected the domain root and checked the Include Sub-Tree option (checked by default), which will automatically include everything below the highest level container selected.
If you want to select specific containers, you can do so by selecting them one at a time until all the desired containers are selected. Likewise, you can exclude containers by selecting the Exclude Container button and selecting the container(s) you would like to exclude:
8. Once the container information has been set satisfactorily, click the Sync Now button to perform an AD Sync. Assuming Auto Sync Enabled is checked, Active Directory Synchronization will next occur at the selected Sync Every interval.
PDQ Inventory Active Directory Synchronization
OUs Not Showing in PDQ Inventory (AD Sync) Containing Computer Objects
Active Directory Preferences Page
Getting Started with PDQ Inventory