Applies to PDQ Deploy version 14+ and PDQ Inventory version 13+.
You receive a notice or warning in the program regarding interoperability, Console User incongruities, or background service issues.
You may also receive one of the following errors when using PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory where both are installed on the same computer either in Central Server or Local Mode.
In the majority of cases, these errors are caused by Background Service credential incongruities and missing Console User permissions between PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory.
For example, the Background Service credentials in PDQ Deploy could be something like PDQDeploy_svc@contoso.com and the Background Service credentials in PDQ Inventory could be something like PDQInventory_svc@contoso.com. But in PDQ Deploy, PDQInventory_svc is not listed as a Console User and in PDQ Inventory, PDQDeploy_svc is not listed as a Console User.
There have also been (rare) cases where the FQDN domain name (for example, contoso.com\username) and the NetBIOS short name (for example, contoso\username) have caused issues.
There are two methods for correcting this issue:
1. Ensure PDQ Deploy's Background Service user (PDQ Deploy Options > Background Service) is a console user in PDQ Inventory (PDQ Inventory Options > Console Users).
2. Ensure PDQ Inventory's Background Service user (PDQ Inventory Options > Background Service) is a console user in PDQ Deploy (PDQ Deploy Options > Console Users).
Change the Background Service credentials to match in both PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory. The changes can be made by going to Options > Background Service and selecting the Change link.
In rare cases there might be an issue where the Background Service credentials change or become corrupt on a program upgrade. In these cases, you should re-add the credentials To reset your credentials from services.msc, follow these steps:
1. Close any PDQ consoles you have open and open services.msc.
2. Right-click the [PDQ service] > Properties > Log On tab, and change the credentials to Local System temporarily.
3. Click back on "This Account" and re-enter your Administrative background service credentials. (Do not leave the service as Local System).
For additional information and guidance regarding the Background Service credentials, please see: The Service Did Not Start Due To A Logon Failure