When scanning a network using PDQ Inventory, you receive an error, "A device attached to the system is not functioning".
If running Remote Repair against the machine, you might also see the same error in "Connect to IPC$ share".
This issue can exist under the following conditions:
If you receive the "A device attached to the system is not functioning" and the computer is not running a Windows operating system and is not in Active Directory:
1. This is normal behavior. You can double-click the computer name (Ctrl+O) or right-click the computer name on the main console and select Open Computer to open the computer window then select Computer from the menu and select Allow Scan to disable scanning for that computer. This will allow you to edit fields for the computer.
2. If you would like some basic information about the machine to be included, add the machine into Active Directory.
If you receive the "A device attached to the system is not functioning" error and the computer is a Windows machine:
1. Reboot the target machine if you have not already done so.
2. Check Device Manager on the target machine for any device errors and correct.
3. Check Event Viewer for any error messages relating to the error, specifically RPC, network, or device errors.
4. Update the drivers on the machine and make sure it is fully patched.
5. Ensure the date and time are correct on the machine.
6. Run the following commands depending on your OS:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
7. Scan for and correct any malware instances on the machine.